Gluten Free Hamburger Buns- BBQ ready!
If you have ever experienced even a day of a gluten free lifestyle, (lets be real, who hasn't now a days?)... you know how it feels to go through a sort of awakening. An awakening that leads to the realization that we live in a world where drowning in gluten is a normality.
And if you were forced to give up gluten, dairy and sugar (like me), you probably experienced thoughts similar to jumping off cliffs (WHAT IS THERE LEFT IN THE WORLD?!).
I have good news:
ITS NOT ACTUALLY THAT BAD! But it does take discipline and creativity!
If your anything like me, giving up gluten, dairy and sugar means giving up ALOT of your favorite foods!
So my goal is to recreate my favorites that will be fueling my body and fair to my taste buds ;)
Today, I have an insight on some soft, gluten free hamburger buns that are satisfying enough to announce that they are fiancé approved and Labor Day BBQ ready!
What you need (trader joes has it all!):
1 1/2 cup of raw cashews
3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup of ghee or palm shortening (softened)
1/3 cup of coconut flour
1/3 cup of blanched almond flour or brown rice flour
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons of coconut milk
How to make it:
1. Set your oven to 325 degrees
2. Blend cashews in a food processor or Vitamix (if you have one) for 10 seconds until ground into coarse flour
3. Add in the 3 eggs, vinegar, almond milk and ghee. Process until smooth *about 30 seconds*
4. Add in the flours, salt, and baking soda. Process until its a sticky consistency dough forms
5. Wet your hands, and shape the dough into 4 buns, placing them on parchment paper
6. In a separate bow mix the single egg yoke and the coconut milk. *whisk* Brush the tops of the buns with it and sprinkle sesame seeds
7. Place in the oven for about 18-25 minutes depending on how hot your oven is! * I would keep watch on them* ;)
After they are done, slice them in half so they are thinner (because they are dense) and make your favorite sandwich or burger! Healthy and yummy! For best consistency, eat them the day that they are made! :) Let me know if you tried them and what you thought!